Thursday, May 7, 2009

Change is Inevitable


Recently, I attended the Gospel Coalition Conference. While I was there, I had an amazing opportunity to attend a lunch hosted by band of bloggers, in which seven fantastic Christian bloggers shared insights on the world of blogging. One of the main things I learned from this lunch… was that I am blogging for the sake of the gospel. I should not be concerned about whether or not people know who I am or like what I write. The only thing that I should care about is if Christ is glorified through what is posted on this site. When I heard this stated from the panel I began to do the hard work of self-examination.

Do I write these posts so that people will know more about Jesus… and seek Him with greater fervency?

Or… Do I write these posts so that people will say… “Great post… Bobby”?

While I was thinking through these questions I decided that in a way I enjoyed the notoriety I received from comments and peoples praise. Although I never set out with that as my goal… I found myself being obsessed with checking google analytics to see how many people visited my blog the previous day. What I am trying to say is… although I really did care about proclaiming the gospel of Jesus… I also found myself falling into the trap of pride.

So… when it came time for me to buy a domain name for http://braulerson.blogspot.com, I naturally decided to register for bobbyraulerson.com (which shows where my priorities were). Of this ridiculous sense of arrogance I repent. I never want anyone reading this blog to think I am after my own gain… I want to exalt Christ through all that I do… even when it comes to blogging.

After being convicted about that issue I started thinking through what domain name I could buy that communicated the point of this blog. In the back of my mind, I just knew that all the good names had to be registered already. However, I tried the one that came to my mind first… http://www.engagechrist.com … and it was available… so needless to say… the new url for this blog will be…

www.engagechrist.com

Because the point of this blog is to let the reader in on the way I and or others engage Christ on a personal and corporate level. Therefore, from now on, if you go to http://braulerson.blogspot.com … you will be redirected to the new url.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog and continue to come back and see what the Lord decides to do in and through this medium.

Also… I know many people who have a url that reads theirname.com … I am in no way trying to imply that they are selfish or arrogant. This was just an issue for me… so do not take what I say out of context. For example, my buddy, Nathan Hoag just switched his blog to www.nathanhoag.com … and I know without a doubt that he lives to see Christ glorified. Let me assure you that he in no way wants to exalt himself. This was just something I have been working through lately and needed to do for myself.

Again… thanks for checking out engage

SHARE THIS POST ON TWITTER
[Post to Twitter]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So awesome to see Christ transforming you and giving you the opportunity to share that transformation with others! I'd say great post, but I don't want it to go to your head! *grin* Seriously, if we are not consciously aware of and battling our own pride, it is usually in full control.
Blessings, Dianne Richardson

Hoag said...

Dang it. I should have bought a different domain! You're a wise and Christ-centered man Mr. Raulerson. I'm glad you ended up at Den Sem with me...even if you don't like it here. HA! See in class sucka

Bobby said...

"Seriously, if we are not consciously aware of and battling our own pride, it is usually in full control."

Dianne... that is an amazing point. Thank you for sharing it with me. Pride is something we all struggle with, however, it is seldom discussed. I know that I am capable of anything... including taking glory that does not belong to me. However, I pray that is not the case.

Thanks for your comment!